Perfect for those wintry days, this dish is very popular with our Westside Market customers!
INGREDIENTS 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound ground beef
1 cup Spanish onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced and chopped
1.5 teaspoons kosher sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 cup celery, diced
2 cups mixed bell peppers, diced
1 fresh jalapeño pepper, cleaned, seeded, and chopped
3-4 tomatoes, pureed
3 cups canned mixed beans, drained
3 tablespoons cayenne pepper sauce, Maria recommends Trappey's Red Devil Sauce
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
4-6 teaspoons sour cream
1) In a medium to large saute pan, heat the oil on medium-high heat.
2) Saute the beef, releasing the liquid, and continue to saute until the liquid is cooked off.
3) Add the onions and garlic and continue to saute for about 4-5 minutes until onions turn clear.
4) Add the salt, freshly ground pepper, cumin, and continue to saute for 2-3 minutes.
5) Add the celery and peppers and continue to saute for another 3-4 minutes.
6) Add the tomatoes, beans, and pepper sauce, and stir gently to combine.
7) Reduce heat to low and bring to a simmer.
8) Simmer for one hour, then serve.
9) Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese, fresh cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream.