Béchamel sauce is a topping for popular Greek dishes like Pastitsio and Moussaka and can even be used in macaroni and cheese! Scroll for this simple and easy recipe.
4 sticks unsalted butter
3 cups all purpose flour, sifted
8 cups whole milk, cold
10 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano or Kefalotyri cheese
1) In a medium to large heavy bottom saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
2) Slowly add sifted flour to melted butter while stirring to incorporate the butter.
3) Continue adding the flour a little at a time and stirring.
4) Once flour is added begin to add cold milk in small increments while stirring vigorously with a wire whisk.
5) Continue until all milk is added and continue to stir until sauce is smooth and even.
6) Remove from heat, add spices and salt while continuing to stir. The sauce should become smooth.
7) Add grated cheese and stir to incorporate.
8) Add egg yolks while stirring to fully incorporate.