One of my grandchildren's favorite desserts. This old family recipe is what we use for Westside Market's rice pudding.
1 cup Carolina long grain rice
5 cups water
6 cups whole milk, divided
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1) In a medium-large saucepan, bring the water to a boil and add rice
2) On medium to medium-high heat, leave on a low boil for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the rice from burning.
3) Add 5 of the 6 cups of milk and the sugar, and continue cooking on a low boil while gently stirring.
4) In a small mixing bowl combine the remaining cup of milk with the cornstarch by mixing thoroughly with a wire whisk or fork.
5) Check the rice, and when the rice is fully cooked, add the milk and cornstarch mixture to the saucepan and stir gently and thoroughly.
6) After 1 to 2 minutes, remove from heat and pour into serving bowls while still hot.
7) Garnish with ground cinnamon and set aside to cool to room temperature.
8) Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to cool.
9) Serve once cooled.