My favorite filet mignon dish, which I prepare for guests in my own home. Excellent with shiitake mushrooms and a good Cabernet.
INGREDIENTS 1 whole filet mignon
2 large Spanish onions, sliced
1 pound Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons kosher sea salt
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon paprika
2 fresh rosemary branches
2 fresh thyme branches
1/2 cup Greek EVOO
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
6-8 cups water
METHOD 1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
2) Place all ingredients in a large (20x13") high-walled baking pan.
3) Cover tightly with aluminum foil and make a small hole in one corner to vent.
4) Roast for 45 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
5) Uncover and continue to roast for 15-20 minutes to an internal temperature of 130 degrees for medium rare, 25 to 30 minutes and an internal temperature of 140 degrees for medium, or 55 to 60 minutes and an internal temperature of 155 degrees for well done.
6) Let rest for 15-20 minutes.
7) Slice the filet into portions and serve family style, garnished with the mushrooms and onions and jus from the pan.
Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or orzo.