Serves 6-8 This is a recipe by my daughter Ermione- who gave it to me. As a chef and mother, it feels wonderful to have your children give recipes back to you! Family friends, as well as Westside customers, love it.
8 Cortland apples, peeled and sliced into 1/4" wedges
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon fresh ground cinnamon
1 pinch fresh grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 stick of unsalted butter
2 Pillsbury pie pastry shells (1 shell and 1 lid)
METHOD 1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) In a medium size bowl, mix all ingredients except the pie crust.
3) Spray a pie plate or round Pyrex pie dish with cooking spray.
4) Plate the pie crust.
5) Add the filling to the pie shell and distribute the filling evenly.
6) Cover with the second piece of pie pastry and crimp the edges around the entire pie to seal the crust.
7) Make four small cuts into the lid of the pie with the tip of a knife about 1" in length.
8) Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
9) Remove and let cool 20 to 30 minutes before serving.