Serves 6-8 It's both a nutritious salad and a tasty side dish!
INGREDIENTS 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained (you may also use canned beans if desired)
1 whole fennel, bulb sliced thinly, stems removed, leaves chopped, 6-8 sprigs of leaves for garnish
1/2 cup EVOO, divided
1/2 teaspoon kosher sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1) In a large skillet or saute pan, heat 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat.
2) Saute the sliced fennel bulb until lightly browned about 5-6 minutes, season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
3) Remove the fennel and set aside to cool.
4) In a large mixing bowl, add the peas, sautéed fennel, and chopped fennel leaf.
5) In a mixing bowl, add the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper and whip vigorously with a wire whisk or fork.
6) Add the dressing to the peas and fennel. Toss gently and thoroughly to coat.
7) Serve garnished with reserved fennel sprigs.