Homemade Mac & Cheese with a baked, crispy crust practically defines comfort food. This is my son, George's favorite!
INGREDIENTS 1 pound elbow macaroni
1/2 pound asiago, grated
1/2 pound medium cheddar, grated
1/2 pound Top Hat cheddar, grated
1/2 pound Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
Maria's traditional béchamel recipe (click here for recipe), doubled
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped for garnish
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2) Cook the macaroni according to directions, to just before al dente. Drain well.
3) Mix the cheeses together, reserving one half of the mixture for topping
4) Grease a 10 x 12" steam table pan, Pyrex dish, or six individual oven proof casserole dishes, and add the cooked, drained pasta, half the cheese mixture, and the béchamel.
5) Mix gently and thoroughly together by hand.
6) Top with the remaining cheese mixture.
7) Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown on top.
8) Remove from oven and garnish with chopped parsley.