Pastitsio is the "Greek lasagna" - only with a topping of béchamel sauce. Surprisingly, my family didn't eat it in Lefkada, but my husband liked it when we came to America and I learned how to make it for him.
INGREDIENTS 1 package Misko #2 Greek macaroni pastitsio pasta noodles
1 recipe's worth of Maria's bolognese sauce
1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided in half
1 recipe's worth of Maria's béchamel cheese (find the recipe here)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley for garnish
METHOD 1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2) Cook pasta according to package directions.
3) Drain pasta well.
4) Mix pasta, bolognese, and 1/2 cup cheese thoroughly but gently in a large aluminum roasting pan or steam table pan.
5) Distribute evenly in the pan.
6) Spoon bechamel on top and smooth evenly over the pasta mixture.
7) Top evenly with the remaining cheese.
8) Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown on top.
9) Let cool for 30 to 45 minutes before cutting and serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.