A beautiful combination of colors and flavors. A fragrant pilaf that can serve as a side dish.
1 cup long grain rice, I prefer Uncle Ben's
3 cups water
1 cup Maria's homemade vegetable stock (find the recipe in Maria's Made with Love on pages 24-26)
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon saffron threads
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1) In a saucepan heat olive oil on medium-high heat.
2) Add the garlic and sauce for 1-2 minutes.
3) Add the rice and sauce for another 3-4 minutes.
4) Add the water, lemon juice, saffron, turmeric, salt, and freshly ground black pepper and bring to a low boil.
5) Reduce heat to a simmer and cook covered for 35 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
6) Remove from heat, and let stand for 10-15 minutes
7) Fluff the pilaf with a fork and serve decorated with fresh pomegranate seeds.