I saw them first in Aruba and realized they were the perfect snack! Protein bites have carbs and healthy fats and you can take them anywhere. A few of them, paired with some fresh fruit, are a great energy boost- better than any sugary energy bar!
1 cup shelled organic pistachios*
1 cup whole organic almonds*
1 cup pitted organic dates*
1 cup dried organic apricots*
1 tablespoon organic honey*
1 cup almond butter
1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder
1 cup organic shredded coconut, divided 1/2 cup for coating*
1/2 cup milled or ground flax seeds*
1) In a food processor bowl, add the pistachios and almonds, pulse for three seconds, two times.
2) Add dates and pulse for three seconds, two times.
3) Add dried apricots and repeat pulse process.
4) Add the honey, almond butter, spirulina, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, flax seeds, and repeat pulse process two to three times.
5) Remove the mixture from the processor and form into 8 to 10 balls by hand.
6) Coat the balls in the remaining shredded coconut.
Note the following substitutions for any or all of the starred ingredients. Experiment to find your favorite combinations!
Nuts: walnuts, peanuts
Dried Fruit: cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries
Spirulina: Goji powder, pomegranate powder
Almond butter: cashew butter, raw coconut oil
Honey: agave, maple syrup
Ground flax seed: toasted sesame seeds
Coating: toasted sesame seed, crushed pistachio, organic cocoa powder