Santorini natives like to boast about the flavor of their yellow peas, and they're right! They are the best. Use this simple recipe and enjoy a bowl of your own in less than one hour of prep and cooking!
1 pound split yellow peas
10 cups water
1 spanish onion, chopped
1 cup extra virgin Greek olive oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
2 tablespoons dill or fennel leaf, chopped, reserve sprig for garnish
1 scallion, green only- chopped for garnish
1 small red onion, sliced thinly for garnish (optional)
1) Clean and sort peas
2) Add peas to boiling water.
3) Remove the foam and impurities that rise to the top in the first few minutes.
4) Add the onion.
5) Let boil gently for 20 to 25 minutes, continuing to remove foam and impurities that rise to the top with a spoon. 6) Add oil and stir thoroughly.
7) Let simmer another 20 to 25 minutes until the peas are soft and tender and the consistency is creamy.
8) Remove from heat, add salt and pepper, and garnish with chopped green scallion, dill, fennel leaf, or sliced red onion.